Greek Brief: Greek-letter leaders hoping for large spring rush turnout

Fraternity hopefuls who missed their chance to join GW’s Greek-letter community will have a second opportunity to do so when spring rush begins on Sunday.

Spring rush will involve all of the Inter-fraternity Council chapters on campus, and will kick-off with an introductory event sponsored by the IFC. Rush events will run through Feb. 2.

“IFC is holding a pre-rush event on Jan. 27 to get everyone aware,” said Bob Kickish, president of the Inter-Fraternity Council. “After that, individual fraternities will host events all week.”

The pre-rush event is a way for the IFC to commence the rush season and give interested students a chance to meet members from every on-campus fraternity.

“It’s a way for everyone to come out and meet guys from every chapter,” said Jordan Teller, vice president of recruitment for the IFC. “It’s a nice informal way to introduce them to the process.”

In general, spring rush is more laid back than fall rush, Kickish said, as the IFC only holds one rush event each night. Spring rush generally draws a smaller turnout than fall rush, but the IFC is optimistic about expected recruitment numbers.

“We’re expecting a big spring turnout,” Kickish said. “Greek life has been strong this year (and) lots of non-Greeks came out for Greek events like Greek Week and our philanthropy events.”

Kickish stressed that the most important part of rush is its opportunity to bring more students into GW’s Greek-letter community.

“It’s bringing new faces to Greek life,” Kickish said. “We love to find new guys who have different interests to expand the community. We also use rush season to show the campus the benefits of Greek life – it’s a kind of experience that you can’t get anywhere else.”

Given the fall recruitment’s lower-than-expected turnout, fraternities are focusing on candidates that fit and complement their chapters.

“It’s been a slow year,” Teller said. “But even though less people came out, we saw more people that we wanted back. I think that more focus is a good thing.”