Former gynecology professor dies at 67

Web Extra

Dr. Jay Myron Grodin, a former GW gynecology professor, collapsed of a heart attack at Bethesda Suburban Hospital on Jan. 10 and could not be resuscitated. At 67, Grodin was an established reproductive endocrinologist whose recent career included a large gynecological practice.

In 1964, while still in medical school, Grodin and his wife Linda had a daughter whose conception was assisted by an infertility medication called Clomid. She was one of the first children in the U.S. conceived using fertility drugs.

“Through that, he became more committed (to that area of medicine), said Grodin’s wife, Linda. “It influenced his decision to go into reproductive endocrinology.”

He served as the director of reproductive endocrinology at the National Institutes of Health beginning in 1970. In 1972, Grodin joined the GW as a clinical professor of obstetrics and gynecology. He began his private practice in Maryland the same year.

“Dr. Grodin took care of the whole person,” said Sherrie Everett, Grodin’s assistant of 14 years. “He wasn’t just a gynecologist.”

Everett said she has received approximately 80 phone calls from patients and other members of the community expressing their condolences.

Grodin received his undergraduate degree from Hobart College in Geneva, N.Y., and his medical degree from Philadelphia’s Jefferson Medical College. He taught at State University of New York’s Downstate Medical Center and served as a research fellow at University of Texas Southwestern Medical School. He was an Air Force Reserve medical officer prior to serving as a director at NIH.

“He was a wonderfully helpful and supportive member of the (Bethesda Suburban Hospital) staff,” said Eugene Passamani, senior vice president for medical affairs at Bethesda Suburban Hospital.

Passamani, who has known Grodin since 1994 worked with him at the hospital. She said Grodin would have become chief of medical staff in July of this year.

His funeral service was held Jan. 13. He is survived by his wife, Linda Grodin, daughter Stephanie Letchinger, son Rick Grodin; two grandchildren and a sister.