Inside Our Pages: A program worth discussing

In recent years, one of The Hatchet’s goals has been to become more engaged in the Foggy Bottom community. We have made strides in accomplishing this goal with events such as our Hatchet-sponsored Student Association debate.

But flip over to A2 and you will see our biggest effort to date. The Hatchet is starting a co-sponsorship program by which student organizations could apply for free advertising space in the newspaper.

This is a terrific effort – and one I wholeheartedly support – but it is likely to spur some conversation, as it did in our own newsroom.

It is important to understand that this will not effect news coverage in any way. Howard Marshall, The Hatchet’s general manager, planned this effort earlier this year and we spoke about it at length. I was hesitant and wanted to ensure that student organizations would not expect additional news space based on their being selected for this co-sponsorship. Marshall, along with other business staff members, will select the student organization they feel is the most deserving of the space. The Hatchet’s editorial staff will not be involved at all in the selection or rejection of any group.

The editorial process for student organizations will not change. If a group is doing something newsworthy, it could contact the newsroom at [email protected]. The Hatchet’s news department will then decide on coverage.

For more information on the new co-sponsorship program, visit www.gwhatchet.com/cosponsorship.