Boyer announces run for SA EVP, others consider entering SA elections

Sophomore Kyle Boyer announced his candidacy for the Student Association executive vice presidency in an e-mail to The Hatchet on Sunday.

Boyer, an SA assistant vice president for community affairs, is the first person to declare a candidacy for the SA elections this year.

“After talking with friends and fellow students I have decided to run for Executive Vice President of the Student Association on a platform of ‘Campus Connection, Campus Convenience, and Campus City,’” Boyer said in an e-mail. “The SA is not just the President, EVP, and Senators, it is truly the union of the entire student body, and that idea is one among many that I hope to promote as Executive Vice President.”

He said he plans to improve campus unity, University pride and GW’s standing within the District.

“With the availability of public transportation, we have the entire beltway at our disposal,” Boyer said. “I believe that we as a student body can do more to embrace our role as the face of DC’s premier university.”

Within the next three weeks, students will need to inform the Joint Elections Committee of their candidacy if they plan to run for office in the SA.

SA EVP Brand Kroeger, a junior, is one of the students who could potentially declare a candidacy for the SA executive.

“Right now my job is to serve as the EVP but if there are no strong candidates that will work tirelessly for the students of GW, as we have this year, then I’ll certainly step up to the plate,” said Kroeger in an e-mail.

Another possible contender for the SA president or EVP position is SA Sen. Kevin Kozlowski (U-At Large), a junior.

“I have not made up my mind yet as to whether I will run and am keeping all my options open,” said Kozlowski in an e-mail. “As for the time being, my focus is on continuing to address the needs and concerns of all GW students, ranging from dining to safety and Greek life.”

SA Sen. OG Oyiborhoro (CCAS-U), a junior, told The Hatchet in early January that he was considering a run for SA president, but could not be reached for a comment on the current status of his candidacy.

“It is something I’m reevaluating with my family,” Oyiborhoro said in early January. “I need to think seriously about it.”