WOW Wingery to offer alcohol in several weeks

The city approved a liquor license for WOW Café and Wingery last Wednesday, and administrators and restaurant staff said they will be offering alcohol in about three weeks.

Located on the fifth floor of Marvin Center, WOW specializes in chicken wings and grilled food. The restaurant opened in January 2007 with the intention of serving beer and wine, and applied for a liquor license last summer.

“In three to four weeks we’re going to start to get beers coming in,” said Jose Liriano, a WOW manager. He added the eatery plans to have draft beers as well as bottles.

Liriano said they may use bracelets to monitor who is older than 21, as well as placing a limit on how many beers can be ordered at a time.

The University applied for the license and is now working with Sodexho and WOW staff to coordinate the logistics of serving alcohol in the space. The application amended the current University license to sell alcohol at Marvin Center.

Tracy Schario, a University spokesperson, said many of the specific details about future operations are still being negotiated. They hope to attract more people to the area by serving alcohol.

“We hope students will better utilize that space, and I think (the liquor license) is a huge benefit,” she said.

Customers at the restaurant stand in line to order and waiters deliver food to the tables. University officials have said in the past that WOW would become full service after receiving a license, but Liriano said he has no immediate plans to change the system.

Student Association President Nicole Capp said she hopes the liquor license will bring more traffic to the Hippodrome, which also has a bowling alley and pool tables.

“I don’t know what the initial vision for the Hippodrome was, but I’m sure it had something to do with community building and bringing students together to watch a football game,”Capp said. “And if you’re 21 or over you might want to have a beer while you’re watching the game.”