Women’s basketball down Loyola Marymount for third-straight win

Web Update
Tuesday, Dec. 18, 6:20 p.m.

After a early-season rough patch, the No. 22 GW women’s basketball team looks as if it is returning to the dominating play most expected.

In a 85-46 drubbing of Loyola Marymount University Tuesday afternoon at Smith Center, junior Antelia Parrish returned after missing a month due to a sprained ankle. She immediately made it clear that she was back and ready to play, hitting GW’s (8-3) first basket and scoring seven points in the first five minutes. Although she ended the game with just nine points, she appeared to be back in the swing of things, running at full speed and pivoting in the paint without hesitation.

“Before Antelia got hurt, she was the team’s leading scorer,” senior Kim Beck said. “When she’s on the floor, she opens a lot of things up and takes away a lot the pressure from us. Having her back, we’re all a lot more comfortable than we were (without her).”

While Parrish cooled off, Beck’s game heated up. The guard scored all of her 16 points in the second half on 7-for-9 shooting. She said she took more time with her shots during the second period while juniors Jazmine and Jessica Adair fed her open looks from the inside. The public address announcer sounded as if he was on repeat as Beck scored 12 points in about four minutes in the second half.

Senior Sarah-Jo Lawrence added 14 points and eight assists. Beck, with five assists, is now one assist away from breaking GW’s all-time assists record, which Kathy Marshall has held at 580 for 22 years.

Jessica Adair, on the eve of her 21st birthday, also looked fluid, shooting 10-for-13 for 23 points in 26 minutes. When asked if her performance was an early birthday present to herself, she responded, “Thursday will be the present.”

On Thursday, the Colonials will welcome Texas A&M to Foggy Bottom at 7 p.m. GW downed the Aggies to advance to the Sweet 16 last season. The No. 10 Aggies (9-1) are coming off a two-point victory over No. 16 Auburn last week and will likely be looking to exact revenge for last year’s loss.

Gary Blair, the Aggies’ coach, is also a close friend of GW head coach Joe McKoewn.

“They’ll be ready to play, too,” McKeown said of the Aggies. “These programs have great respect for each other. Somebody’s going to have a merry Christmas and someone is going to be scrooge. I’d rather be Santa Clause than Scrooge.”