Men’s Basketball Notebook: Hobbs implies criticism is unfair

BLACKSBURG, Va., Dec. 9 – During his post-game press conference, GW men’s basketball coach Karl Hobbs mentioned being “outplayed in every facet of the game” during the team’s 68-36 loss to Virginia Tech.

“They out-physicaled us, they out-ran us, they out-shot us – they dominated in every phase of the game,” he said.

But the coach would not analyze what he thought of his coaching during the game. When asked by The Hatchet if “every facet of the game” included being out-coached, Hobbs said, “You can say that if you want,” and declined clarification upon request.

After the press conference, Hobbs took aside this reporter in the tunnel and said, “When I get some top-50 recruits, you can ask me about being out-coached.” Asked if he is exonerated from any blame because he does not have top-notch recruits, Hobbs said, “No,” but restated, “When I get some top-50 recruits, you can ask me about being outcoached.”

Director of Athletics Jack Kvancz then led Hobbs away.

Prior to the incident, Hobbs referred to Virginia Tech’s coach Seth Greenberg as “a very good basketball coach.”

During his seven-year tenure at GW and as an assistant coach at the University of Connecticut, Hobbs has earned a reputation for being a superb evaluator of talent, recruiter and developer of players.

Virginia Tech has three top-100 recruits and another one coming in next season.

Wesley Witherspoon, the 54th-ranked recruit in the country according to rivals.com, was in attendance Sunday night, sitting behind GW’s bench in a No. 11 GW warm-up jersey.

Witherspoon is rumored to be interested in playing for Hobbs, but was mum during an interview with The Hatchet during the game. He said he liked the attention of being a recruit but seemed disappointed in GW’s play (the Colonials trailed 30-14 at the time).

He would not give a timetable for a decision on his future.