SA Note: Senate approves three on election committee

The Student Association Senate confirmed all three of SA President Nicole Capp’s nominees for the five-person Joint Elections Committee Tuesday night in Rome Hall.

Sophomores Daniel Boehmer and Will Rone were approved as the SA representatives for the spring election oversight body, and the SA accepted junior Ben Balter as the joint representative for the SA, the Marvin Center Governing Board and Program Board. The SA previously chose senior Chris Rotella to represent the MCGB for the JEC, and PB has yet to fill its seat for the oversight body.

Capp said all of the SA’s JEC representatives had experience within the SA.

“Daniel Boehmer has dedicated himself to attending the meetings of the Senate Finance Committee, and Rules Committee in order to provide assistance from the Executive where he can, and to compile updated reports on the committee’s activities that have kept me informed,” Capp said.

She added that, “He is an expert on the rules and is aware of the precedents that have been set by past JEC charters. He will be crucial to the JEC’s efforts to establish thorough statutes in the coming months.”

The SA president said Rone was also well-qualified and had been involved with past SA elections.

“As a counsel for a candidate last year, he is experienced with due process issues and is familiar with relevant case law,” Capp said. “He is fair and has very strong values. He wants people to understand the rules.”

She said Balter, who is president of the Jewish Student Association, is a proven student leader and makes a good addition to the JEC.

“Ben’s triple-threat skill set of communications expertise, student organization experience and knowledge of process makes him a uniquely qualified candidate to manage an election,” Capp said.

Although the election will not be held for at least a few more months, Sen. Kevin Kozlowski (U-At Large) said it was important for the JEC to be formed before the end of the fall semester.

“It is to make the process easier,” said Kozlowski, a junior. “It is better that the JEC has as much time as possible to make the elections run as smoothly as possible.”