Greek Brief: University to accept new sorority next year

GW’s Greek community will get a little bit bigger next spring. The Panhellenic Association voted in favor of inviting another sorority to colonize on GW’s campus.

GW will begin accepting applications from interested sororities in early January 2008, and representatives of the GW Panhellenic Extension Committee will choose three sororities as finalists by mid-February.

“We receive applications in January and these applications are reviewed by a committee of representatives of all the current organizations,” said Dean Harwood, director of Greek Life and assistant director of the Student Activities Center. “Then the three finalists make presentations.”

The Panellenic Association will announce the sorority chosen to start a new chapter at GW before spring break in March 2008.

The new sorority will be listed in promotional materials for the fall 2008 rush, but GW will not permit the new chapter to begin recruiting until Oct. 12, 2008.

As is the case with many new sororities, recruitment and colonization will be guided by staff from the chosen sorority’s national organization.

“We’ll start with a clean slate,” Harwood said. “There will be staff from the national organization to do promotional stuff and gather interested women.”

Harwood said he anticipates interest from a number of sororities, and sororities with a history at GW may reapply.

“It’s open to anyone that’s interested,” said Harwood. “Though there are several groups with history at GW, and that might play a part in the process.”

He also emphasized the express need for another sorority on the GW campus.

“There’s a very clear need,” said Harwood. “These are the strongest numbers ever (for a GW Panhellenic recruitment season). Watch the success of Pi Beta Phi this year. There are a lot of interested women looking for the sorority experience.”