DJ’s Fastbreak to be used for EMeRG, student-run business

The University has plans to renovate the space formerly occupied by DJ’s Fastbreak to make room for student space.

Located at 2145 G St., the venue will include second-floor offices for EMeRG, a student lounge area and a student-run business, said Student Association President Nicole Capp. The School of Business in partnership with On Sale Promos, a local promotional goods company, will run the business.

Despite the renovations, the building will be demolished within the next two decades as part of the 20-year Campus Plan.

“There has been a lot of discussion to use that space so that it serves multiple purposes,” said Capp, a junior. “It could be a storefront and some kind of lounge.”

Business students will be able to work and run the store for class credit, Capp said. Although it has not been decided what the store will sell, Capp said the store could sell anything from GW spirit wear to Greek paraphernalia.

Robert Chernak, senior vice president for Student and Academic Support Services, said the renovations will be completed within the next few months.

“My hope is that the first floor space would be ready for student use sometime beginning with the spring semester,” Chernak said.

Alicia O’Neil, director of real estate planning and development, said the University is working to secure contractors and permits for the DJ’s Fastbreak renovations.

“The renovations will support a variety of potential first-floor uses, and once a final decision is made regarding this space, minor modifications may be made to the space to accommodate this final use,” O’Neil wrote in an e-mail. “This work will include demolition of the food service equipment, new carpet and paint, addition of a restroom on the first floor (for handicap accessibility), new lighting and ceiling grid and other similar.”