Colonials squander 24-point halftime lead in loss to UNLV

Web Update
Friday, November 30, 11:00 p.m.

The GW women’s basketball team saw a 24-point halftime lead disappear at the hands of the University of Nevada-Las Vegas Friday, falling to the Lady Rebels 62-61 at the Human Performance Center in New Orleans.

The loss comes in the Four Points by Sheraton/Lady Privateer Invitational hosted by the University of New Orleans, and is the second loss in as many games for No. 16/14 (AP, ESPN/USA Today) GW. The Colonials (5-3) fell to James Madison 80-55 on Nov. 27th.

GW led 40-16 at the half, but steady offense from UNLV (2-4) gave the Lady Rebels their first lead of the game with just under four minutes to go. Senior Sequoia Holmes led UNLV with 25 points.

Senior Sarah-Jo Lawrence 22 points for the Colonials while junior Jazmine Adair chipped in 17 points. No other GW player was in double figures. Senior Kim Beck, often a sharpshooter from beyond the three-point line, hit just one basket all game and the Colonials shot just 2-of-15 from three-point range.

The Colonials were without the services of senior Whitney Allen for the fourth consecutive game and junior Antelia Parrish sat out her third straight game. Allen is suffering from a broken left ring finger and Parrish, who had led the Colonials in scoring and rebounding before her injury, is battling a sprained left ankle.

The last time GW lost two consecutive games was Dec. 4 and Dec. 6 of 2004, when the Colonials lost to the University of Oregon and Brigham Young University.

GW will need to bounce back quickly, as the Colonials face Samford Dec. 1 at 2 p.m. in their second game of the Invitational. The last time GW lost more than two games in a row in the same season was a four-game skid during the 2002-2003 season.