Thanksgiving without the homemade turkey

Instead of the usual turkey and stuffing, junior Jordan Teller’s Thanksgiving dinner menu will consist of pizza and beer.

Teller, who is originally from Los Angeles, will be staying on campus this year for Thanksgiving. Teller, a three-year veteran of WRGW, is not going home because he will be broadcasting the GW men’s basketball game against UMBC in Baltimore the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Teller does have plans to go home for a few days the week after Thanksgiving, but only because he will be traveling to UCLA to broadcast the men’s game there.

So come Nov. 24, Teller’s aunt and her boyfriend will be coming down from New York to spend the evening with him.

“We are thinking pizza and beer,” Teller said.

Although Teller will be spending the holiday without his immediate family, he will not be alone on campus. With a student body from all over the country and the world, Thanksgiving travel plans can sometimes be unreasonable for the short holiday.

“L.A. is far, and I am going home for winter break less than a month after Thanksgiving anyways, so chances are even if I wasn’t working for WRGW I may have just gone home with one of my friends who lives on the East Coast anyways,” Teller said.

Sophomore Whitney Ksiazek is a member of the GW Dance Team and is required to stay on campus along with the rest of her teammates during Thanksgiving break.

Originally from Saudi Arabia, Ksiazek spent three years of high school in Arizona with her family, but they have since moved back to the Middle East.

“I’m used to it. I had to stay last year,” Ksiazek said about missing out on a home-cooked Thanksgiving meal.

“I love every girl on the team, so it’s just like being with my friends,” said Ksiazek who may be going home with a friend from New Jersey during the break.

Ksiazek might not be going home for Thanksgiving, but that doesn’t mean she can’t start planning for winter break. Along with her family, she is going to Nebraska to visit her grandparents

Freshman Tiffany Shaw won’t have a problem getting home – her parents have a house in Springdale, Md. That doesn’t mean though that she has forgotten about her friends without a place to go for some mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce.

“I live so close and know there are a lot of international students,” Shaw said. “It can be really hectic to figure out flights and I wouldn’t want anyone to be alone this holiday.”

Shaw invited all of her GW Facebook friends to her home for Thanksgiving. She said that she does not know how many people to expect, but that her house is big enough to welcome any guests from Thursday to Sunday for the Thanksgiving break.

“My mom suggested the idea actually. She told me I should be kind to people,” Shaw said. “What about those who live on the West Coast? She’d ask me how I would feel alone on Thanksgiving.”