Staff Editorial: Student attendance at inauguration disheartening

The week of activities celebrating new University President Steven Knapp culminated in the pomp and circumstance of his official inauguration as the 16th president on Friday morning. About 2,500 people were in the audience at Smith Center for the ceremony, but only about 100 of those were GW students. Out of the undergraduate population, that constitutes about 1 percent. It is both unfortunate and disappointing that GW students did not witness this important moment in GW history.

Students should have embraced this opportunity to support their University and interact with the officials and administrators that actually have the power to change the most frequently criticized elements of GW student life. No doubt students have classes, internships and work to attend to on Friday mornings, but it is still disappointing that student turnout was abysmally low.

What impact would have been made if Knapp looked out into the audience to see thousands of students instead of alumni and administrators? Knapp already has projects in the works of how to make GW more affordable, more environmentally friendly and examine safety policies on campus – if students want to see these potential changes take place, why not show up?