Men’s Basketball: Despite struggles, Moore fights

When junior Cheyenne Moore stepped off the court Wednesday night as his team’s victory over Boston University became certain, he made sure to emphatically slap hands with every single teammate and coach standing next to the bench. His energy level paralleled his attitude on the court.

Even during a two-game slump which has the forward shooting an abysmal 2-for-16, Moore’s intensity and dedication have not wavered.

Against BU, Moore was 1-for-9 from the floor, with many of his shots rimming out or banging hard off the rim. His only points came on a three-pointer from the top of the key.

When the ball hit nothing but net, his face was closest to a snarl, and the focus of his anger appeared to be at the hoop more than anything else. He swung his arms and beat his chest. While hitting the perfect three is rewarding for any shooter, this one was probably particularly thrilling.

But Moore said he was not frustrated. The Clemson transfer said that he understands that there are times when the ball just will not go in, and he is going to keep shooting and fighting until it does.

“I’m just going to shoot,” Moore said. “That’s what coach wants me to do and that’s what I’m going to keep doing. I’m not frustrated. (The shot) feels good when it leaves my hands. It’ll get there and when it does, it’ll do it more frequently.”

Spectators have noticed his struggles. GWhoops.com, a fan message board, has an entire thread dedicated to Moore’s struggles. After the BU game, he said that he does not read the Web site but is aware of what people have been saying and recognizes it as part of the relationship between player and fan.

“I’m on the court playing,” Moore said. “I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing and let them keep doing what they’re doing. That’s what they’re supposed to do. They’re supposed to watch and spectate. I’ll start making them and they’ll start changing their statements.”

But while critics keep complaining, he said he will keep doing what he is doing: working hard on the court. His hustle can not be ignored and he said that that is not going to change regardless of whether he is putting up points.

“That’s my whole game. I’m not just a scoring guy,” Moore said. “I play defense, I rebound. I find my teammates open. I’m a team player. If I’m not scoring, I’ll do something else. If I am scoring, I’ll still do other things.”

Head coach Karl Hobbs said he is not worried about Moore.

“His intensity is always there,” Hobbs said. “He still hasn’t gotten quite into a rhythm yet but that will come. I really like his leadership out there and his intensity.”