Letters to the Editor

Concern for the community

In Frank Broomell’s op-ed entitled “Patience key for reactions,” (Nov. 12, pg. A4) there seems to be a disregard for what was truly enraging about the events of the past months. I do agree that the acts of a few individuals are not representative of our campus at larger. Furthermore, I do not feel that these incidents constitute hate crimes. I do, however, feel that it is necessary to exhibit some respect for members of the community.

Once University leadership found out about the “Conservito-Fascism Awareness” posters, they vowed to punish whoever was behind them (perhaps operating under the idea that they were posted by a conservative organization). Once notified that they were posted by a liberal organization, they backed off and reacted minimally despite how the posters have tarnished the image of the university. In addition, many people have come to realize that the Islamo-Fascism Week that was being called out was in fact, not racist. The only ounce of racism occurred in the “satirical” flyers posted by graduate student Adam Kokesh and his gang.

Satire has the ability to go too far. This is one of those cases; the outpouring of disgust after the posters were raised was well justified, if not by the national media, then definitely by our campus. Racism should not have a place on our campus, including cases where “satire” is meant to be implied. Free speech is a right that is not meant to be limited, but exercised with caution. There are ways to voice dissent and disapproval without offending numerous members of our community. The national media (and the blogosphere) has a right to comment on the actions of our campus just the same as we do. This is what is important about the situation: you may try to tell these members of the press to “buzz off,” but the fact remains that GW will always remain in the public eye as an indication of college-political atmosphere. Students should be mindful of the position we hold and understand that what we say, for better or worse, holds consequences. There is no need to offend and discriminate against certain groups in the name of free speech and “awareness”. Say what you believe, just watch how you say it.

John Voci, Junior

4-Ride should expand services to off campus students

In my first three years at GW, I’ve received as many crime alerts in total as I have this semester. As a female student at GW and a senior who lives two blocks off campus I am very concerned with the increase in armed robberies and assaults in our neighborhood. So what is the University doing about it?

Last week Sarah Scire wrote an informative article “Series of Armed Roberies Hit GW” (Nov. 8, pg. A1) covering the crime increase in which a UPD officer was quoted was encouraging students to take taxis off campus. Instead UPD should open its services to include off campus to off campus transfers within current 4Ride boundaries. This is no longer a matter of convenience but a matter of responsibility for the University. Because of our unique and vibrant campus, many students live with in one block of a GW building but not technically “on campus.” Students are much more likely to be leaving a friends apartment or a local eatery late and night than they are a classroom building. If the walk is less than four blocks they sure as heck are not shelling out $5.50 for a cab – that is two Starbucks lattes! These are the students most at risk for assault and it is the university’s first and foremost responsibility to protect their safety. Extra UPD patrols can not be everywhere at once but providing students a safe alternative ride home can grant us the peace of mind and a feeling of security on campus.

Nicole Landguth, Senior