Greek Brief: Sorority raises money for charity, gives away plane tickets

The Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority held its annual Kappa Kickball fundraiser for the D.C.-based Reading is Fundamental Nov. 10.

Kappa Kickball has been an annual fundraiser for the sorority for the last four years. Sixteen teams participated this year, raising $1,280. A team from the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity won the competition.

“This is our biggest fundraising event,” said Erin Grody, vice president of operations for Kappa Kappa Gamma. “It’s really fun and a great way for the Greek community to socialize and hang out.”

JetBlue Airways provided prizes for the tournament and awarded the winners flight vouchers.

“It’s just to raise awareness and get more students flying,” said Grody, who is also a JetBlue representative.

Reading is Fundamental, a charity organization headquartered in D.C., promotes children’s literacy nationwide. Hampton Rasco, the organization’s CEO, praised the sorority’s dedication to his organization.

“College students are great fun in helping the children,” Rasco said. “The GW group is right there (in D.C.) and we can use them as a sounding board, to make sure the things we’re designing are usable by collegiates, not just the alumni members.”

“All sororities and fraternities are very supportive,” Grody said. “We all help out one another’s philanthropies.”

Kappa Kappa Gamma will further its relationship with the philanthropy later in the year when they kick off a campaign to promote child literacy in D.C. Members of the sorority will read to children at local schools and collect books from the GW community.

“We’re all tutoring kids in public schools too,” said junior Matina Golias, Kappa Kappa Gamma philanthropy chair. “Lots of the girls who chose this sorority did so because of the philanthropy. I’ve learned so much – I never knew about this organization before.”