W. Basketball: Colonials survive close call in Charlottesville

Web Update

Tuesday, Nov. 13, 1:38 a.m.

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va., Nov. 12 — Virginia had just hit a three pointer and the ranked GW women’s basketball team was up one point with two seconds left in the game. Senior Kim Beck was fouled, put to the line and missed the front end of two free throws before knocking down the second.

“I was trying to make it a little interesting for the fans,” Beck said while laughing with teammates Sarah-Jo Lawrence and Antelia Parrish. “It was all planned, I promise.”

Backed by her team here Monday night, Beck made it interesting and squeaked by the Cavaliers 70-68 in its first test of this young season.

The victory over Virginia Monday night in front of 2,615 saw a contest where teams traded runs and momentum before the outcome took shape in the game’s final minutes. Furthermore, in a season where expectations are running high, the Colonials were reminded of its sheer mortality.

“We got up early, they came back, we went up,” head coach Joe McKeown said of a game he jokingly blamed for the sudden graying of his hair. “Nobody could really control the game until the end.”

After bolting out to a 10-1 lead, the Colonials fell flat, giving up 13 unanswered points over the next three minutes in the first half. As both teams struggled to establish consistency on offense, Virginia maintained a steady lead for much of the game, going up 54-47 with under eight minutes to play. Beck immediately answered with a three-pointer, sending the team on a 12-0 run to take a five-point lead.

“That three really was huge,” McKeown said. “I think everybody feeds off (Beck). I think that was the difference down the stretch.”

Parrish led the Colonials in both points and rebounds, notching 18 and 10, respectively, in her first double-double at GW. Lawrence, who hails from just north of Charlottesville, scored 14 points in a game that served as a sort of homecoming for the local star.

“It’s amazing,” Lawrence said of the experience. “I had a bunch of people that were able to come see me play. It was great to come play at home.”

The win was GW’s first against Virginia in 11 meetings dating back to 1979. Their last encounter came when the Cavaliers spoiled the Colonials’ 2005 season opener at Smith Center. Afterwards, McKeown said he was surprised to learn of the all-time series record, much of which was accrued before his tenure.

“We haven’t played very often,” McKeown said. “I know I’m not 0-10. I’d quit (scheduling them).”

After just one day of rest, GW will host Kentucky Wednesday evening at 5:15 p.m. in its home opener. Beck said despite the quick turnaround, the Colonials would be ready.

She said, “We’re going to take care tonight, ice up and come hard on Wednesday.”