Police make major drug bust in Ivory Tower residence hall

Police confiscated a significant amount of marijuana from a room in Ivory Tower last week, according to police reports.

The University Police Department responded to an anonymous tip Nov. 2 regarding a student selling drugs in the residence hall. A community director performed an administrative search, and called the Metropolitan Police Department after finding drugs.

MPD found four “bags” of marijuana, as well as about $1,200, four scales, a grinder and cigarette papers, according to an MPD report.

UPD Chief Dolores Stafford said only one of the four individuals in the room admitted to dealing marijuana. MPD took the evidence, and no arrests were made on scene. Stafford said she was unsure whether there would be an arrest.

Roommates of the alleged drug dealer would not comment on the incident, except to say their roommate had been gone for a week. One roommate, who declined to be named, said the alleged dealer told him not to talk about the incident.

Seniors Justin Koester and Josh Kiss, who live nearby the room, said they saw police activity as they walked in the hallway Friday night.

“(We) saw weed sitting on the table when we went by – big bags that filled up the whole kitchen table,” Koester said. He estimated there was about four pounds of marijuana on the table.

Another resident of the hallway, senior Sarah Broome, said people have come to the floor looking for the alleged drug dealer. “People often get off the elevator and ask where (he) was,” said Broome.

Other neighbors said the smell of marijuana coming from the room has been an issue since the summer, and complaints have been filed with UPD.