Series of armed robberies hit GW

A string of armed robberies last week prompted University police to increase the number of patrols in the northwest quadrant of campus.

M and 22nd streets has proved to be a dangerous intersection in the past week. Four female GW students were assaulted and robbed near the location on Oct. 31, according to police reports. Only 20 minutes later, near the same intersection, two men attempted to rob a 30-year-old female tourist by punching her in the face. About four hours later, around 1:45 a.m. on Nov. 1, two GW students were held up at gunpoint at 24th and I streets.

Stafford said UPD does not believe the crimes are linked because there was a different number of suspects involved in each incident and because the victims’ accounts were vague.

She said the Foggy Bottom area typically has only eight robberies each year.

“We do not see a pattern or trend happening in and around campus at this point,” Stafford wrote in an e-mail. “Robbery is a fairly common crime throughout the metropolitan area.”

Sophomore Elizabeth Lothian, a victim of the first assault, said she feels safe on campus because UPD’s “strong and visible presence” deters potential muggers.

“I don’t, however, feel particularly safe off campus, especially at night.” Lothian said. “I think crime is an unfortunate part of living in D.C.”

Lothian and her three friends said they were surprised by the location of their assault and the inaction of passersby.

“I find it sort of ridiculous that I would come to the nation’s capital and get mugged on a well-lit street in very nice area while other people on the street just watched,” she said.

The tourist in the second mugging was visiting from Russia and could not be reached for comment. Another victim declined comment.

UPD released a crime alert on Nov. 1 which included details about the two robberies involving GW students and outlined assault and robbery prevention tips.

“Students should consider using public transportation or taking a taxi when traveling outside of the 4-RIDE boundaries, in lieu of walking around the city late at night,” the crime alert stated.

Stafford also recommended students check the Metropolitan Police Department’s Web site for statistics involving crime in the area they are planning to go before venturing off campus. She specifically cited off-campus clubs as places significantly more dangerous than the Foggy Bottom area.

Josh Aldiva, a spokesperson for MPD, said students could lower their risk of assault by walking in groups of three or more and avoiding unfamiliar areas late at night.

“Don’t wait too late to go home. That’s the thing to remember: don’t go home too late or too wasted,” Aldiva said.

Aldiva, who said he is familiar with the Foggy Bottom area, cautioned that students can sometimes attract muggers by wearing excessive amounts of jewelry and other expensive items.

“A lot of GW kids go off into Georgetown and they’re wearing a lot of flashy stuff because they want to look good, you know? It’s not a good idea. Think of the consequences before you walk around like that,” Aldiva said.

Aldiva added that crimes can happen even if you take prevention steps.

He said, “We can increase the force in the area, educate the citizens, and increase our officers’ visibility but there are some crimes you just can’t prevent.”