Basketball Preview: Women’s Projected Starting 5

Kim Beck

Senior, point guard – 5-foot-8

Last year: 11.3 points per game, 5.34 assists per game

Lowdown: Beck has started all four years at GW and has become one of the nation’s best point guards in the process. This year, she is a preseason candidate for the Wooden Award, given to the nation’s best player. She can score when she needs to, but usually prefers to pass to a teammate.

Sarah-Jo Lawrence

Senior, shooting guard – 5-foot-11

Last year: 13.4 points per game, 3.03 assists per game

Lowdown: Lawrence does everything on the court, including lead. She was the team’s leading scorer last year, she can hit a jumpshot, although she prefers to take the ball to the basket. She can also guard the other team’s best player if needed.

Whitney Allen

Senior, power forward – 5-foot-11

Last year: 6.0 rebounds per game

Lowdown: Allen’s mentality on the court is often compared to a bulldog’s-hard-nosed, aggressive and relentless. She is the team’s best defensive player and does not need the ball to make a positive impact on the court. Every great team has a player like Allen.

Antelia Parrish

Junior, forward/guard – 6 feet

Last year: Did not play per NCAA’s transfer rules

Lowdown: In 2006, Parrish was named to the NJCAA Division II All-American First Team after averaging 25.7 points and 15.4 rebounds per game at Prince George’s Community College. She is listed as a forward and a guard because she can easily play both positions; she’s built like a forward but has the court vision and shooting capabilities of a guard.

Jessica Adair

Junior, center – 6-foot-4

Last year: 12.9 points per game, 7.6 rebounds per game

Lowdown: Adair is the tallest player on the team, but she also has touch around the basket and a good overall feel for the game. The Anacostia native had 21 rebounds against Boise State in the first round of last year’s NCAA Tournament and uses her size to get easy shots around the basket (her .528 shooting percentage led the team).