This month in live music

Now that midterms are over, there is really no excuse for missing out on the great shows coming to D.C. this November.

We all know that the only real way to kick off the month is the Van Halen way, as it seems the classic rock gods have patched things up with frontman David Lee Roth – for the time being, at least. Get those denim jackets out of the closet, do your hair up as big as you can get it and take the Delorian out of the garage and head down to the Verizon Center Nov. 1. So what if hardly anyone at GW was alive for any of that – it does not mean the music doesn’t rock any less, though. The only thing cheesier than listening to “Panama” is listening to “Panama” live played by four guys in their fifties.

Speaking of classic rock bands who seem to have made nice with their lead singers (or at least long enough to not kill each other while on tour) The Police will be playing the Verizon Center four days later on Nov. 5. Tickets are still available, but it is not exactly a cheap date.

If $30 sounds more reasonable than more than $150, definitely check out Nickel Creek at 9:30 Club Nov. 2. The critically acclaimed group will bring their blend of bluegrass, pop, and indie-rock to D.C. for the last time, for a while at least, on their “Farewell (For Now)” hiatus tour.

If jam-band music is more up your alley, guitar virtuoso/hippie-god Keller Williams and the WMDs will be making their triumphant return to 9:30 Club Nov. 4.

For an even more granola option, the John Butler Trio is giving the crowd the choice to buy tickets for either $25 or $25.40 for their show on Nov. 6 at 9:30 Club with Ian Ball of Gomez. According to the band’s website, “By purchasing these carbon credits for an extra 40 cents you are helping to fund Native Energy (a renewable energy company that harnesses energy from wind).” Just make sure you don’t drive your Hummer to the concert.

Apparently Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band does not care as much about the environment as John Butler does. They’re not offering environmentally friendly tickets to their shows at the Verizon Center on Nov. 11 and 12 (GASP!). Good thing he’s one of the greatest live performers of the past quarter century.

Nov. 12 will also see VHS or Beta, the Moving Units and local favorites Soft Complex play at the Black Cat. The D.C. natives will open up the “dance-punk” showcase that is sure to please, especially for only 13 bucks.

Three days later on Nov. 15, the Stiff Little Fingers will be playing the mainstage of the Black Cat. If that name doesn’t sound familiar, look back to everyone’s favorite pseudo-romantic comedy, “High Fidelity.” They’re the band that Dick references as one of the big influences on Green Day. For $15, don’t take Dick’s word for it, check it out yourself.

If you prefer a mix of 1950s rockabilly and gothic metal to indie music (and really, who doesn’t), “psychobilly” will be returning to D.C. Nov. 15. Infamous madman Hank (Williams) III and his off-the-wall set will open up for the Reverend Horton Heat at 9:30 Club. For all those Guitar Hero II fans out there, the Reverend’s signature tune “Psychobilly Freakout” might be familiar. Go ahead, play along at the concert, but just be careful of that blue key – it’s a doozy.

“There’s only one OCTOBER,” Dane Cook said in all of those ridiculous Major League Baseball postseason commercials, but it seems like Mr. Cook has some tricks up his sleeve for November as well. The comedian turned actor turned annoyance will be at the Verizon Center Nov. 16 in support of his “Rough Around the Edges” tour. The funniest bit will be when he tries to prove that he knows something about baseball.

This month at the Rock and Roll Hotel, Clap Your Hands and Say Yeah have extended their stay until Nov. 19. Apparently one night at the Hotel just wasn’t enough.

Creed fans rejoice (all three of you)! Alterbridge, also known as Creed with a new frontman, Myles Kennedy, will rear their ugly head at Ram’s Head Live on Nov. 27. If the Holy Spirit moves you, the show will be $22 in advance, $25 at the door.

On Nov. 28, Blind Melon will be at the State Theater. Frontman Shannon Hoon might be long gone, but Blind Melon lives on, proving there’s a lot more to them than just “No Rain.”

Now that it’s getting colder and everyone is starting to head inside, there are plenty of great options for concerts this month. Young, up-and coming acts and old fogies alike will be in the D.C. area to share their tunes. Enjoy!