Racial slur found on New Hall door

Web Update

Friday, Nov. 2, 9:51 p.m.

A student in New Hall reported finding a racial epithet on her door Tuesday.

“Niggers” was written at the bottom of a poster advertising for a black engineering group’s event, a University spokesperson said.

Michael Tapscott, the director of the Multicultural Student Services Center, said this is an example of escalated racial insensitivity on campus.

“When it starts getting written on doors, that’s more aggressive, and it frankly becomes a clear issue – not of ignorance – but bordering on intolerance,” Tapscott said Friday afternoon.

University President Steven Knapp said in a news release that the act is “unacceptable.” The University is offering counseling to the victim.

“It may never be known whether this incident constitutes an isolated case, a copycat crime, or part of a larger malicious campaign to cause fear, pain, and confusion in our community,” Knapp said in the release. “Under the best scenario, the culprits in such cases are caught and face the appropriate penalties for their crimes. I sincerely hope that those responsible are apprehended, and we will do everything within our power to make that happen.”

Tracy Schario, a University spokesperson, said the University Police Department is investigating the incident. Schario said analyzing video evidence will be difficult because the exact time of the incident is unknown.