New swastika found in New Hall

Web Update

Friday, Nov. 2, 9:42 p.m.

@import url(https://files.gwhatchet.com/i/071101/issue.css);

Timeline

• OCT. 23: Sarah Marshak, a Jewish freshman, finds a swastika drawn on the whiteboard mounted to her Mitchell Hall door. Her house proctor contacts UPD. In the next four days, two more are drawn, each progressively larger in size. Swastika drawn on door (The Hatchet, Oct. 25).
  • OCT. 27: Transfer student Erica Tanne, a Jewish sophomore, finds the symbol drawn on the whiteboard on her residence hall door. Tanne lives in Potomac House.
  • OCT. 28: A swastika is drawn on Marshak’s door for the fourth time. More swastikas found on door (The Hatchet, Oct. 29).
  • TUESDAY: Marshak finds a swastika on her door for the fifth time. In eight days, seven swastikas were found on campus: five on Marshak’s door, one on Tanne’s door and one on a fence by GW Hospital. The University does not link the vandalism by the hospital to those in residence halls. University: Seventh swastika not yet hate crime (Hatchet Web Update, Oct. 29, 7:53 p.m.).
  • WEDNESDAY: University President Steven Knapp tells The Hatchet that UPD is investigating and the Metropolitan Police Department is not involved. A swastika was found spray-painted on the door of a Columbia University professor, which the New York City Police Department is investigating.
  • THURSDAY, early morning: Marshak discovers another swastika on her door. In ten days, this is the sixth time she finds the symbol on her door. It is the eighth swastika found on campus. An eighth swastika is found overnight in Mitchell Hall (The Hatchet, Nov. 1); News Analysis: What is a hate crime? (Nov. 1).
  • FRIDAY, early morning: The University states in a news release that it has called in the FBI to help identify those responsible for the drawings. FBI called in to assist with swastika investigation (Hatchet Web Update, Nov. 2, 5:10 a.m.).
  • FRIDAY: The Hatchet learns that a student in New Hall reported finding a racial epithet written on her door Tuesday. The word “Niggers” was written at the bottom of a poster advertising for a black engineering group’s event. Racial slur found on New Hall door (Hatchet Web Update, Nov. 2, 9:51 p.m.).
  • FRIDAY, evening: Another student living in New Hall finds a swastika drawn on her door. This is the ninth swastika found on campus since Oct. 23. New swastika found in New Hall (Hatchet Web Update, Nov. 2, 9:42 p.m.).

Another swastika – along with the text “white power” – was found drawn on a white board in New Hall Friday evening.

At approximately 6 p.m., University Police Department officers removed the white board from the room. It is the eighth swastika found in a residence hall since Oct. 23 – six on the same door in Mitchell Hall.

University spokesperson Tracy Schario confirmed there was a swastika found in New Hall, but declined further comment. She said the drawing is being examined along with the other recent incidents.

On Friday morning, the University announced the Federal Bureau of Investigation was investigating the spate of vandalism.

“Certainly it’s a swastika, so it will be a part of that evaluation,” Schario said, referring to the University response. She declined to say whether the FBI was investigating the recent drawing.

New Hall has cameras throughout each floor.

A resident of the room, who wished to remain anonymous, confirmed the roommates removed the board and gave it to UPD. The Hatchet is granting the resident anonymity for fear of retribution for speaking candidly about the incident.