Vanderbilt adopts newspaper program started by SA at GW

If imitation is the greatest form of flattery, then the readership program at GW should be blushing.

When members of the student governing body at Vanderbilt University heard of the Student Association-sponsored GW readership program they contacted SA leaders for advice on how to implement the program in Nashville – one that makes free copies of national newspapers available in the lobbies of on-campus residence halls.

The Vanderbilt student leaders “heard good things” about the plan GW student leaders used to reinstate GW’s readership program, SA Executive Vice President Brand Kroeger said.

The SA helped Vanderbilt student leaders by suggesting ways to lobby their administration to adopt the program, by giving them contact information for the appropriate individuals at USA Today – one of the newspapers that participates in the program – and by offering information about the cost of the program and how many copies of paper the program includes. Several SA members also sent a letter to Vanderbilt’s student leaders and administration expressing their support for the program.

“Being sought out like this is a compliment to the work the Student Association has done this year,” Kroeger said.

The GW readership program was discontinued during the 2006-2007 academic year because of its costs. Bringing back the newspaper program was an important priority for both Kroeger and SA President Nicole Capp this year.

“We didn’t just want to bring it back,” said Kroeger. “We wanted to bring it back bigger and better.”

This year students can find USA Today, The New York Times and The Washington Post in the lobby or basement of their residence halls. As a new addition to the program, The Wall Street Journal is offered daily in the Business School and The Economist is offered weekly on the third and fourth floor of the Elliott School.