Kidfest a success despite rain

Web Extra

Despite showers that pushed the seventh annual Kidsfest indoors, about 50 student organizations welcomed families to a Halloween extravaganza in the Marvin Center Saturday.

“Kids Fest is a great way for GW to foster a good relationship with the D.C. community because it’s a great opportunity for parents who work to see their kids dressed up on the weekend,” said Amy McLaughlin, mother of 3-year-old Max McLaughlin, who came to GW dressed as T-Rex.

More than 180 GW students in six residence halls opened their rooms up to trick-or-treaters. For many of the children, this was their only opportunity to go door to door and collect candy.

“We are not planning to go trick-or-treating on Halloween,” said Tiaa Jackson, a mother of three children. “This is safer and more fun because there is more for kids to do.”

In the past, the event was geared only toward underprivileged children. This year, the Student Association worked closely with the Office of Community Relations to invite as many D.C. children as possible to this year’s event.

“The more GW tries to involve the community, the better. It is very important to continue to build the partnership between GW and the D.C. community,” said Kidsfest co-chair Marissa Adamczyz.

More than 50 local schools were contacted about the event. It was also advertised at the Foggy Bottom Block Party.

Each student organization set up a craft or game for the kids, including making pasta necklaces, face painting, pie throwing and spin art.

“We are having a lot of fun with the cake walk. When the kids aren’t doing it, we are doing it,” said President of the Philippine Cultural Society Kay Fabella.

Kids also feasted on spaghetti brains and other Halloween foods at Ivory Tower in the Witch’s Kitchen. Student groups Rhyme or Reason, 14th grade players and Off the Sound Post performed.

“I can’t think of anything about Halloween that isn’t fun, “said David Rosenberg, a junior.

The event was moved indoors from University Yard to the Marvin Center because of the rain.

“The event could have been better if the weather was nicer. However, everyone pulled their weight,” said Laurissa Fike, a senior.

But the children didn’t seem bothered by the change to an indoor location.

Tiarra Jackson, 8-year-old trick-or-treater, said, “I like everything here. I want to live here.”