Knee injury to sideline King for exhibition, season opener

Sophomore point guard Travis King will miss the men’s basketball team’s exhibition game Oct. 31 and the first game of the regular season Nov. 10 while recovering from a fractured kneecap suffered during a pickup game this summer.

The New Haven, Conn., native said Wednesday in a phone interview with The Hatchet that he plans to begin playing Nov. 14 against Boston University at Smith Center.

King will miss the Colonials’ exhibition against the University of the District of Columbia and the regular season opener against Mount Saint Mary’s.

During Tuesday’s open practice, King dressed but stood on the sideline. He is able to walk and do light workouts but will begin running and practicing soon.

Head coach Karl Hobbs referred to King as “one of our starting point guards” during his question and answer session with fans afterward.

King originally hurt the knee when he landed awkwardly after shooting a jumpshot during a pickup game in New Haven. He told The Hatchet in September that he was aiming to be 100 percent healed by Nov. 1 but that date has proved overly optimistic.

The 6-foot-1 guard averaged 5.7 points and 2.4 assists in 22.2 minutes per game last year as the primary backup to departed senior Carl Elliott.