Humane Society attorney addresses dogfighting in Law School speech

Web Extra

Representatives of the Humane Society announced a new program to offer $5,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of a dogfighter, during a speech in the Law School Monday.

Michael Vick, the Atlanta Falcons football star who pled guilty to federal dogfighting charges this summer, has put “a public face on the issue that was in the dark shadows,” said John Goodwin, manager and attorney for the Human Society’s animal fighting campaign.

Goodwin and Ethan Eddy, a faculty member at GW Law School, shared their legislative and judicial experiences concerning animal fighting in the speech, titled “Animal Fighting and the Law.” The Student Animal Legal Defense Fund hosted the event.

The Humane Society is also working to help local and federal law enforcement officials recognize signs of dog fighting. Goodwin and Eddy criticized the low and ineffective fines that some states impose on people engaged in dog fighting.

“When a dogfighter can make $100,000 in one night, the misdemeanor fine is just considered the cost of doing business,” Goodwin said.

The Humane Society is also suing the postal service for distributing cockfighting and dogfighting magazines, which they said promote what are in some states illegal activities.

“We think someone at Amazon.com had a knee jerk reaction about free speech in printed material. However, when you are advertising contraband, the First Amendment goes out the window,” Eddy said.

Students emphasized the necessity of protecting defenseless animals.

“Animals can’t take care of themselves; it’s our choice how we treat and protect animals,” said Drew Reissaus, a second year law student.

“It is grossly unjust to have so many defenseless creatures suffering, and each of us has the power to help minimize such pain and injustice,” said Alison Schiebelhut, president of SALDF.

But students also said animal fighting does not just have to do with the mistreatment of animals.

Lauren Remsberg, a third-year law student, said, “It is important for people to pay attention to the issue because dog fighting goes hand in hand with other types of criminal activity.”