GW Brief: RIAA issues an additional pre-litigation notice

The recording industry has issued at least one more pre-litigation notice to a GW student as the University awaits a subpoena to disclose names of several anonymous students.

The Recording Industry Associates of America sent an e-mail to the University on Sept. 28 regarding a new illegal downloader they had found on the GW network. It requested the University prevent the student from sharing copyrighted music.

The RIAA issued 19 similar letters last spring and have since won a motion in court seeking the names of anonymous users of the GW network. University spokesperson Michelle Sherrard said Friday the University has not received the subpoenas.

She added the University will turn over names of students when the subpoenas are served.

“The University, if and when it receives a valid subpoena which legally requires GW to disclose such information, will comply with it,” Sherrard wrote in an e-mail.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act requires the University to notify the student before releasing their information to the court.

The Sept. 28 e-mail documents illegal activity from this September. It is unclear whether this represents a new wave of notices to come. Representatives from the RIAA were unavailable for comment.

The notice was forwarded by the University to freshman Michael Moffett, the alleged illegal downloader.

Moffett, also a Hatchet reporter, said he used BitTorrent – a file-sharing Web site – to download files every day.

“I downloaded at least two CD’s a day and at least two or three movies a week,” Moffett said.

Moffett added he downloaded illegally because music is too expensive.

“I think that music, because it’s an art form, should be shared. I don’t agree with the prices,” Moffett said. “I found most of my favorite bands through downloads, and now I go to their concerts and spend $50 on a ticket – which is more than they would make on a CD.”

This is Moffett’s first warning from GW, though he said he has received notices in the past from Comcast. He said this latest warning has curbed his illegal downloads.

“I don’t really download anymore; it’s not worth it to be sued. I’ll just buy off iTunes,” Moffett said.

Some songs noted in Moffett’s notice include “Big Girls Don’t Cry” by Fergie, “Thanks for the Memories” by Fall Out Boy and “Clothes Off” by Gym Class Heroes.

The RIAA hires a third-party firm to surf peer-to-peer networking sites looking for music piracy, according to court documents. When these companies identify someone sharing music illegally, they download the music to verify it is an infringement of copyright. This information is then sent to the RIAA, which decides the appropriate response.