Letters to the Editor

Sororities not limited to Pan-Hel

In “Reinventing sorority recruitment” (Oct. 15, p. A4), Ms. Dallas-Feeney expressed her discontentment with the Pan-Hellenic Association’s current recruitment process. What is not mentioned is that there are several sororities at GW that exist outside of the Pan-Hellenic Association. Each of these sororities, members of the Multicultural Greek Council, has its own recruitment and new member intake process unique to that organization.

I am a recent graduate of GW and an hermana of Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad/Lambda Pi Chi Sorority, Inc. Other sororities within MGC are Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Sigma Lambda Upsilon/Señoritas Latinas Unidas Sorority, Inc., and Sigma Psi Zeta Sorority, Inc. Though MGC sororities are culturally focused, you do not need to identify as a member of a specific culture to become a part of an organization. Take a moment to research the sororities on our campus – both in MGC and Pan-Hellenic Association. Learn about what we believe in and what we stand for. Find out about the strides that we are making in our communities. Look at how far we have come – some organizations are almost 100 years old while others are celebrating their 10th anniversary.

I invite women interested in learning more about or joining an MGC sorority to come out to events and meet the members of our different organizations. You may learn that the organization you are interested in will only accept new members after they have completed their freshman year. If you are graduating in May, you may be able to join an organization through a professional/graduate chapter. Look at your options and make an educated decision. Who knows? You might find that you have more in common with an MGC sorority than you think.

Amanda Bates, Alumnus

SA Allocations not just frustrating for Dems.

I am severely disappointed in the article “College Democrats deride SA allocations” (Oct. 11, p. A1) and the College Democrats. The article stated that the College Democrats were unhappy that they received less money than the College Republicans. They should be happy that they were granted the $7,500 that they were given. A large portion of student organizations were only given $150, including the two organizations that I help run.

The SA Finance Committee was very clear to state that SA funds were to be used only for operational needs, i.e. those needed to keep the organization running and nothing else. It would be hard to justify to me how either the College Democrats or the College Republicans need $7,500 and $9,000, respectively, just to stay afloat as student organizations. Other small groups are simply given $150 or less even though our proposed budgets were written for operational funding in much greater amounts. Statements such as those made by the College Democrats in the aforementioned article do not reflect well on the organization or the nature of the student body.

To state that because the SA did not equitably treat the two political organizations, the College Democrats will become separated from the student body is frankly ridiculous. Being GW, I am sure there will never be a lack of College Democrats no matter what their SA budget allocation is. As for the rest of us, we will make due with what we are given and be thankful that we get any funding at all. As for increasing student fees, if the SA didn’t give thousands of dollars to a large number of organizations, there would be more to divide. Action is needed, not excuses or Band-Aids.

Kristine Merriman, Senior