Greek Brief: Pi Kappa Phi holds War of the Roses Fundraiser

The Pi Kappa Phi fraternity held its second annual War of the Roses fundraiser this week and plans to donate all proceeds gathered to the fraternity’s national philanthropy.

Last year the fraternity held a single War of the Roses event, but because of the event’s popularity, fraternity leaders chose to expand the one event into a week’s worth of events.

PUSH America is a national service organization devoted to providing resources and raising awareness for the disabled. The philanthropy is run by the fraternity’s national organization and is funded by chapter-level initiatives. PUSH America is the only philanthropy founded and operated by a fraternity.

“(War of the Roses is) mostly to help raise money and awareness and to have fun,” said Sean Hallisey, Pi Kappa Phi Phi philanthropy chair. “(The disabled) individuals come first. They can do everything else just like everyone else.”

The main event in War of the Roses week is the Miss PUSH America beauty pageant, which was held Tuesday night. The sororities participating in this year’s War of the Roses include Sigma Kappa, Phi Sigma Sigma, Alpha Delta Pi, Pi Beta Phi, Delta Gamma, Alpha Phi and Kappa Kappa Gamma.

“The girls have a ton of fun,” said Hallisey said. “(Last year) The War of the Roses started as the main competition between campus sororities.”

Last year Pi Kappa Phi raised about $3,500 for PUSH America through its War of the Roses events, and the fraternity’s members hope to raise as much or more this year.

Pi Kappa Phi recently won four awards at the fraternity’s national convention in June, including an award for “champion master chapter.” This is the fraternity’s fifth year at GW.