$5 – $10 – $20: An entertainment guide for the cash-strapped college student

If you have $5

Head over to the Adamson Gallery (1515 14th St. NW) to see the Chuck Close art exhibit. Known for his massive portraits on prints, daguerreotypes, holograms, tapestries and photographs, Close captures every details of human emotion in his works. In addition to his self-portraits, some celebrity portraits at the gallery include artist Cindy Sherman and sumermodel Kate Moss.

If you have $10

Catch the last few days of the Reel Affirmations Film Festival at the Lincoln Theatre, the Goethe-Institut and the Landmark E Street Cinema. Featuring films with prominent gay and lesbian characters, this annual film festival will show all sorts of films, including dramas, comedies, thrillers and documentaries. For a full schedule of showings this weekend, check out the festival’s website at www.reelaffirmations.org.

If you have $20

Borrow $5 more and catch Rodrigo y Gabriela at the 9:30 Club (815 V St. NW) on Oct 21. The Mexican acoustic/metal duo has hit No.1 on the Billboard Top 100 World Albums chart, and were also nominated for an MTV “Woodie” award for their genre-breaking musical style. Fast-paced guitars and heavy dance-worthy percussion are guaranteed for a show that promises to deliver something new, unique and fascinating.