Greek Brief: Sorority promotes Domestic Violence Awareness Month

The Sigma Psi Zeta sorority plans to promote Domestic Violence Awareness Month this month.

This month-long series of events is one of the sorority’s most important service events and it will culminate with a fundraising dinner Oct. 30, Sigma Psi Zata president Mei Loo said.

“Basically, by the end of the month, everyone on campus should wear a purple ribbon,” Loo said in reference to the ribbons her sorority hands out to raise awareness of the need for violence prevention.

Sigma Psi Zeta also held an awareness workshop as part of its month-long campaign Tuesday. Loo stressed that domestic violence is a national problem and that it does not just affect couples in relationships.

“Any rape where the rapist knows the victim is domestic violence,” Loo said. “There are a lot of cases where people aren’t aware of the violence.”

Loo added that one of the major barriers to effective domestic violence prevention is that legal recourse available for abused women is often inadequate. Loo said many women who approach the police to report an instance of domestic violence sometimes receive little to no protection from their abusers.

“We need more friendly services,” she said. “Most people don’t want to go to the police . Filing a report doesn’t do anything. One day in jail (for the abuser) makes the situation worse.”

Sigma Psi Zeta is a multicultural Asian sorority. Domestic violence prevention has become the sorority’s national philanthropy as it is a serious issue among Asian-Americans and other minority cultures.