Softball loses two to end fall

GW’s softball team finished its fall season with a thud, scoring just one run while losing both games of a doubleheader Saturday at Mount Vernon. The 8-0 loss to Georgetown in the first game was the Colonials’ second loss to the Hoyas in less than a month. GW’s offense sputtered in the second game too, losing 4-1 to Mount St. Mary’s.

With the losses, the Colonials finished their exhibition season 3-6 despite winning their last two games against Howard and Catholic in the annual GW Colonial Fall Opener last weekend.

In the first game, Hoya hurler Jennifer Connell tossed four innings of no-hit ball before Colonials’ centerfielder Chrysanthi Halkiotis broke it up with a line drive that pinballed off the gloves of the Hoyas’ middle infield for a base hit. It was the Colonials’ only hit of the game.

Halkiotis, a senior, started off the squad’s only real offensive threat against the Hoyas, stealing second two pitches later, just making it in under the high throw. The rally died though when first basemen Carrie Higden lined into a double play that caught Halkiotis off the bag at second.

“Offensively, we were missing a couple big bats in our lineup today because of injury,” head coach Kim Staehle said. “The girls in the game missed some opportunities to get that hit or RBI that we needed.”

The Hoyas scored six runs in the first two innings, taking advantage of Colonials’ starter Katie Miller’s inability to find the strike zone. Miller gave up six runs in 1 1/3 innings, walking three and throwing a wild pitch to the backstop that extended a four-run first inning for the Hoyas.

Amanda Gabriel took over for Miller on the mound in the second, holding the Hoyas to two runs over the final 3 2/3 innings.

“After the first game, I told the girls that I thought they came out a bit flat. I wanted to see more from them in terms of communication and energy. I know we only have 13 girls out here, but we need to embrace that and be the loudest 13 we can be,” Staehle said.

Freshman Ali Pardo started the second game against The Mount for GW, allowing four runs before yielding to Higden in the fifth.

“Ali threw real well today, I thought. She had some issues with velocity in the early going, but she got it together in the later innings,” Staehle said. “I think she’s going to make a great complement to our staff this year.”

The Colonials rallied in the fifth and sixth, putting runners at first and second in both innings. The Mount survived the threat, as all four runners were stranded without any runs crossing the plate.

Staehle said that GW’s missed opportunities were indicative of a team that still needs time to develop.

“We like to win ballgames so we take these exhibitions as seriously as any of our Atlantic 10 conference games,” Staehle said. “At the same time though, the fall season is really only developmental. We have areas that we want to work on and, oh, are we going to work on them in the next four months.”