Colonial Army’s new system keeps it positive

Becky Wilson and Victor Danau, juniors and co-presidents of the Colonial Army, are putting what they’ve learned in psychology class to practical use. Instead of punishing members who do not attend certain events – a problem that has plagued the student spirit organization in the past – the group will reward those who do.

“Positive reinforcement will work better,” Danau said. “Policies where things are mandatory don’t work.”

The fan group will implement an attendance awards program which will give members points for attending basketball games, tailgates and other functions. In addition, certain activities, such as women’s basketball games, may be worth more than others to motivate members to attend the less-populated events.

The awards program is just one of many changes being implemented this year. This year, the group will not begin recruiting for members until mid-October.

“It’s better for us to do it this way,” Wilson said. “We have more of a chance to see what people want for the season. Everyone’s still excited at Colonials Invasion and when the basketball season starts.”

“People used to come in and not know what was going on,” Danau added. “That early in the year, freshmen are worried about buying books.”

The presidents said they are not sure of where recruitment will be taking place but are hoping for it to be in a freshman dorm. Students will have the bar code on the back of their GWorlds scanned when they sign up, and this same process will identify which students attend events.

Those who join during the three-day recruitment in October will be charged a $10 membership fee, while those who sign up afterward will pay $15. Students can sign up at anytime, even after the basketball season starts, in the Student Activities Center office at Marvin Center, but the awards points only begin to accumulate after the student signs up. Points cannot be awarded retroactively.

One benefit that remains the same is the signature T-shirt. Other merchandise will also be available, either as benefits from the awards program, for sale at games and online or as benefits for members. Wilson and Danau said that they expect members to receive their initial merchandise by Colonials Invasion.

Some other returning benefits for members include barbecues and tailgates before games. Wilson said the goal is to have a tailgate every weekend that the men’s team has a home game, and Danau said that they are also considering having one before the women host Rutgers Nov. 18.

For most other home games, the group will bring back “dine-in-line,” when students who wait in line outside the Smith Center are served food and beverages before being admitted. Wilson and Danau are also planning on having a bigger event before the BB&T Classic in December, and the organization will bus students to Verizon Center for the game.

Danau said the Colonial Army is going to be working with the spirit department to promote games, and Wilson said that advertising will be a lot more than just some balloons outside the Marvin Center.

Danau said, “let’s put it this way. If you’re on campus, you’ll know there’s a game.”