This month in live music

Now that it’s getting a bit colder, many will be heading indoors, checking out movies, sporting events, and of course, fluid related ping-pong competitions. Instead, or perhaps in the meantime, October is jam packed with bands that are sure to.well. jam.

Paolo Nutini will be disguising pop music as “thoughtful singer/songwriter tunes” Thursday at 9:30 Club. Openers Jon McLaughlin and Serena Ryder are reason enough to spend the $25 dollars.

If you really have your heart set on going to a concert at 9:30 Club this weekend, you might want to wait a few days, save a couple bucks and see State Radio on Saturday. Those of you who cry yourself to sleep at night because Dispatch broke up a few of years ago can now dry your eyes, because Chad Urmston – the sometimes guitarist, bassist and drummer – is coming back to town with his new band. Guess what- they sound almost exactly the same.

For those of you who are interested in getting into some good, native D.C. jazz but don’t feel like making the trek, the District’s own Matt Rippetoe will be at the Millenium Stage at the Kennedy Center Monday Oct. 8. After releasing his album “Boink” to much critical acclaim, he’ll be bringing the spirit of D.C. jazz to Northwest, and for free nonetheless.

For the slightly more hippie (and perhaps, less hygienic) music aficionado, Oct. 11 will be a great night in Baltimore as Moe. and PMG – both terrific live performers – will be playing at Ram’s Head Live. For only $25, you’ll be able to see the battle of the three-lettered jam bands.

If seeing a jam band in Baltimore in the middle of the week is not your thing, maybe seeing a jam band in Baltimore that Saturday would be more up your alley. Although, to be fair, Blues Traveler, also playing at Ram’s Head Live, is more of a gateway drug into jam bands. Incorporating elements of blues, rock, pop and folk in their advanced musicianship, Blues Traveler is much more than their mid 1990s string of hits, as they’d be more than happy to show you for only $30.

Getting to Baltimore might be tough, so if you don’t feel like driving or taking the train to Maryland to get your pseudo-jam band groove on, Gov’t Mule will be playing at 9:30 Club with promising upstarts Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. Some might remember Grace Potter from her performance at Spring Fling in 2006, when she opened for Talib Kweli. You won’t have to go out of town, but it will cost you five more dollars.

For a more local flavor, Middle Distance Runner will be having their CD release party/concert at the main stage of the Black Cat on Oct. 20. Playing with The Dance Party and Hello Tokyo, it will be a good chance to see some young, promising indie bands on the eve of what looks like their breakout.

One of the most original bands in recent memory will be headlining 9:30 Club on Oct. 21. Rodrigo y Gabriela’s last show in D.C. was canceled due to a mix-up with international security (cool. huh?). But the Mexican duo that started out in the death-metal world is looking to make up for lost time when they bring their ultra-unique flamenco music to the District. For only $25, it might be the best value show of the month.

For a slightly more morose evening, Danzig will be heading to Ram’s Head Live on Oct. 23. With Gorgeous Frankenstein (featuring Doyle from the Misfits) opening for Danzig, there will undoubtedly be some classic Misfits tunes on the set list.

The Drive-By Truckers won’t pull any punches when they come to Ram’s Head Live Oct. 28 for a great, old-time rock show. On the other hand, Morrissey, playing the same stage three nights later, might pull a punch or two – and then cry about it onstage?. But if that’s your thing, knock your socks off.