Greek Brief: Alpha Phi Omega focuses on community service

Since its re-chartering in 2000, Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed service fraternity with approximately 40 members, has grown to become GW’s largest service fraternity.

Jonah Olken-Dann, Alpha Phi Omega’s membership director, said GW’s location provides the organization with plenty of projects around the city.

“There are tons of opportunities for community service here (in D.C.),” he said. “But you’re doing it on your own. One of the most attractive things (about a service fraternity) is all of the people who like to do community service.”

Alpha Phi Omega’s service projects include park cleanups, playground work parties and a longstanding cooperative relationship with Charlie’s Place, a soup kitchen and resource center for DC’s homeless community. Charlie’s Place is affiliated with St. Mary’s Church, and receives donations and assistance from a variety of service groups and individuals.

The shelter serves hot breakfasts to about 80 homeless men and women and also provides clothing, toiletries, newspapers and other goods to people in need. APO works with Charlie’s Place by donating collected goods and money, and by serving breakfast to the homeless on Friday mornings.

The fraternity’s most important fundraiser is its annual Swipe Out Hunger campaign, a program where members collect GWorld donations from students to benefit Charlie’s Place. This year’s Swipe Out Hunger event will take place Nov. 13 to Nov. 15 at Marvin Center.

Alpha Phi Omega also participates in rallies and marches in D.C. to raise awareness for causes such as diabetes and AIDS. Unlike the Pan-Hellenic and Inter-Fraternity Council Greek organizations, Alpha Phi Omega has already completed its rush season. The fraternity added nine new members who are mostly sophomores and juniors.

“Spring rush is our bigger rush,” said Olken-Dann. “People want to find their way around.”

Olken-Dann described a recent project at an elementary school in which Alpha Phi Omega members painted hopscotch and foursquare courts and a map of the United States on the playground blacktop.