Softball plays five games in two days

During the GW softball team’s pair of victories Sunday afternoon, it was the little things that mattered. A day after losing two of three games at the Maryland Tournament in College Park, the Colonials returned to the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex the next morning to face, and defeat, Catholic and Howard.

“We improved as the weekend progressed and were able to finish all our plays,” coach Kim Staehle said. “Overall, our success was in executing the little things.”

One of those little things included a steady improvement, as the losses Saturday turned into two convincing wins Sunday. The first was a 2-1 victory over Catholic, which started at 10 a.m., less than 24 hours after the Colonials’ (3-4) loss to Maryland. Staehle said she was unsure of how her players were going to handle the quick turnaround, but the transition did not appear to hinder the squad.

The first game played scoreless until the Carrie Higdon’s single in the fifth inning. The Cardinals answered in the next inning after a GW error allowed a run, but a passed ball in the seventh inning allowed freshman Katie Terrazas to come home for the winning run.

“The girls played very well,” Staehle said. “They played great defense and hit the ball hard.”

Between games, Staehle told her team that Howard is a good team who always hits solidly. To win, she said, GW had to play sharp softball.

The Colonials did just that, cruising to a 6-0 win. Higdon had a single in the first inning, which sent junior Tori Sensi, from second base, home. Terrazas had a two-run single in the sixth inning, and sophomore Amanda Gabriel did the same later in the inning. Freshman Ali Pardo earned the win in the shutout.

“(Pardo) is a very good athlete; she is going to do great things,” Staehle said. “She and the rest of the team are perfectionists and they always try to do everything right.”

Sophomore Amanda Holst said that one thing the Colonials did right against the Bison was communicate.

“Communication was really key for us in the second game, and that helped lead to the overall success of the team,” Holst said.

Saturday’s games were more of a struggle for GW, dropping contests against Maryland-Balitmore County and Maryland after defeating Delaware State. Senior Caroline Howe compared the differences between the two days, saying that her squad put in a full effort Saturday despite losing.

“We did really well today compared to what we did yesterday, although yesterday everyone managed to stay in the game the whole time and never gave up regardless of the score,” Howe said.

And Holst complimented her team’s overnight turnaround.

She said, “We corrected any defensive mistake and the girls really came alive at bat.”