Fabolous to headline Colonial Invasion

Fabolous, the New York rapper, will perform at Colonial Invasion Oct. 26, the Student Association’s executive vice president confirmed Sunday evening. As of Sunday evening, GW had not yet received a signed contract from the rapper.

Colonial Invasion, to be held at Smith Center, is GW’s version of midnight madness – a nation-wide tradition that marks the official beginning of the college basketball season. Fabolous will be the final act in an event that will also include giveaways, contests and prizes. There will also be an introduction to the men’s and women’s basketball teams, along with coaches, mascots, cheerleaders and dance squad.

Brand Kroeger, the SA’s second in command, said he is excited about the rapper coming to campus. The junior said Fabolous requested the University provide him with Hennessey and Hypnotiq – both popular hard liquors – but the University cannot comply.

This is the first time since Colonial Invasion’s inception in 2003 that a musical guest will be part of the activities. In 2004, the Harlem Globetrotters entertained with a short performance, the only other non-University act to appear at the event.

Fabolous has released four albums, including one in 2007. Two of his albums have gone platinum – the industry term used for selling 1 million copies. He has also collaborated with artists such as Jay-Z, Kanye West, Jennifer Lopez and R.Kelly. He will be at GW as part of a college tour, which also includes a stop at the University of Florida’s O’Connell Center in Gainesville, Fla.