Comedian Stephen Colbert to perform at Lisner Auditorium Oct. 19

“Truthiness” is coming to GW.

Comedian Stephen Colbert, host of “The Colbert Report” on Comedy Central, will discuss his new book “I Am America (And So Can You!)” at Lisner Auditorium on Friday, Oct. 19 at 7 p.m. in an event sponsored by the Smithsonian Resident Associate Program.

After the talk, the comic news pundit will be available to sign his new book, which is set for a release date of Oct. 9.

“This book contains only the highest quality of opinions that I had to offer over the three-day weekend that I dictated it,” Colbert said promoting the book in a video on Amazon.com.

A limited number of $20 tickets for the event will be made available to students with a valid GWorld card by calling 633-3030 or by visiting the Lisner Auditorium box office. General admission tickets will cost $35.

Colbert is not a stranger to the District. The comedian, who was born in D.C., was the featured performer in the 2006 White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner and is often spotted on Capitol Hill where he has interviewed more than 30 U.S. House Representatives for the “Better Know A District” segment on “The Colbert Report.”

Colbert began his career at the famed Second City improv club and gained notoriety as a senior correspondent at “The Daily Show” with Jon Stewart, where he spent eight years before starting “The Colbert Report” in 2005.

The stardom of comedic journalist has soared since the launch of “The Colbert Report.” In 2006, Colbert was listed as one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people and in 2007, he had a Ben & Jerry’s ice cream flavor named in his honor.

In addition to Colbert, Lisner Auditorium will host other notable entertainers this month.

Comedian Stephen Lynch will perform on Thursday and humorist David Sedaris will be speaking on Saturday. Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart will be performing at the auditorium on Oct. 11.

General admission tickets for the performances range between $25 and $45, with a limited amount of discounted tickets available for GW students.