Greek Brief: Inter-Fraternity Council begins fall recruitment

Men at GW will have the next week and a half to decide if they want to go Greek.

The Inter-fraternity Council began its annual fall recruitment Monday and for the remainder of this week and next, individual chapters will host a variety of events until “bids” – formal invitations to join- are given out at midnight on Oct. 6.

“This should be a big year for us,” said senior Chris DiBitetto, president of the IFC. “We had great interest at CI, helped with move-in and the IFC has done a good job with our (public relations). We hope the interaction we’ve had with the freshmen in the last few weeks will give us a good turnout.”

Additionally, the IFC hosted an official event on Sept. 9 during Welcome Week for the first time, DiBitetto said. The event held on the fifth floor of Marvin Center at the Hippodrome, included food from WoW Wingery and an evening of Sunday Night Football.

DiBitetto added that members of Greek-letter chapters were encouraged to wear shirts with their letters in order to promote fraternity life.

“We hope to be seeing more and more kids coming to GW and looking at Greek life as a positive aspect and as a recruitment tool,” DiBitetto said.

Most chapters have already or plan to host events providing food and entertainment including Chipotle nights, barbecues and games. DiBitetto said once prospective members get a feel for the chapters, the more serious candidates tend to continue going to events with certain chapters during recruitment’s second week.

While the recruitment process is familiar for most chapters, the Kappa Alpha order will participate in its first IFC recruitment.

“Most chapters are seeing a good turnout,” said senior Kenny Gold, vice president for IFC recruitment. “It’s been pretty standard for the first two days. A lot of guys come out in the beginning and play the field.”

Gold said the IFC has been a source of guidance for the chapters through the recruitment process.

“I’m very optimistic about recruitment this year,” said Dean Harwood, director of Greek Life. “I was out Monday night and there were good crowds. There seems to be a lot of interest.”