Selling sex, door-to-door

There are no pillow fights or popcorn kettles at these slumber parties, but one rule still remains: no boys allowed.

Last week junior Sara Yoffe hosted her own slumber party for some girlfriends after contacting Slumber Parties Inc. The girls gathered in Yoffe’s New Hall dorm to gawk over merchandise such as vibrating panties and matching sets of lingerie.

“It’s essentially bringing Pleasure Palace, the Georgetown sex shop, to your dorm room,” Yoffe said.

There is one more ground rule: all guests must be 18 years or older. Abide by those few guidelines and a local Slumber Parties distributor will present guests with a two-hour presentation of informal discussions, games and songs to ease the mood.

After hearing about the product options and sampling the testable merchandise, each participant goes into a private room with the consultant to place a confidential order.

According to their Web site, some of Slumber Parties most popular items include the $17 Nympho Niagra cream, which promises to increase arousal when applied to your erogenous parts and a portable heating hot gel pack called a hot heart massager for $12.

“She comes and sells you her products; everyone has drinks and is girly and talks about things she is selling,” Yoffe said. “We had a chance to try on lingerie and test some of the products. It was great.”

Senior Morgan Hooker also hosted her own slumber party last year.

“When you think sex toy party, you think something dirty or raunchy, but that’s not what it is at all. It’s more like a Tupperware party with sex toys for sale,” Hooker said.

The idea behind Slumber Parties began in Baton Rouge, La., after a similar adult toy company that owner Kim Brecheen had been working for went bankrupt. She began selling her own products door-to-door until Slumber Parties was created in 1993.

Now with more than 16,000 consultants worldwide, Brecheen’s women-only adult-themed party company has an estimated revenue of $54.2 million and is ranked No. 38 in the top companies for consumer products, according to the company’s Web site.

Hosting a party is free and in instances when the guests spend enough money, the host can even win free prizes. Both Yoffe and Hooker won a $150 shopping spree and a voucher for two nights at hotel.

Hostesses usually have to make an appointment with Slumber Parties three to four weeks prior to their event or up to six weeks in advance if they request a top consultant.

“It was nothing I’d ever be ashamed about,” Hooker said about her party. “It was a very welcoming environment to learn and ask questions.”

Yoffe agreed her party was a success, calling the event “empowering.”