Capp vetoes GW FEED bill

Student Association President Nicole Capp used the first veto of her presidency Thursday night to reject an SA Senate bill which would have funded $6,000 worth of promotional material for the GW FEED homelessness initiative.

The SA Senate passed the bill on Monday night without going through the finance committee and following the normal legislative procedure. SA Sen. O.G. Oyiborhoro (CCAS-U), who sponsored the bill and chairs GW FEED, streamlined the process because the student life committee did not receive funds that Oyiborhoro said were allocated last year to the student life committee by former SA President Lamar Thorpe. He said the SA needed to act since GW FEED begins this Tuesday.

“I am troubled with the process through which the bill was managed through the Senate,” said Capp, in a news release. “By choosing to bypass the standard legislative process, Senators in general were denied the opportunity of reflective consideration and the finance committee specifically was denied the ability to consider the event information in the same manner that it would consider all other uses of student body funds.”

Oyiborhoro said Capp’s veto does not spell the end for GW FEED. The Senate can override Capp’s veto with a two-thirds vote.

“I still support my bill,” said Oyiborhoro, a junior. “I believe the SA will give me the money.”

Capp said she will use $450 of “non-student-fee SA revenue account funds” to purchase a banner for the event’s kickoff.

“I want GW FEED to be a success, and I know it will be,” said Capp, a junior. “With immediate needs met, there is no compelling need for this style of emergency legislation.”

The SA Senate meets again on September 25.

Capp Veto Statement – Released by the Office of the SA President