Renovation plans approved for Alumni House

The D.C. Commission on Fine Arts has approved plans to renovate Alumni House so University President Steven Knapp can advance with plans to move in.

The commission approved the plans to revamp Alumni House “in concept.” University spokespersonTracy Schario said these renovations will begin in the next few months.

Alumni House, located on the corner of 20th and F streets, previously housed Alumni Relations. The University now plans to convert the property into a private residence for Knapp.

Schario said the next step is to “remove the current occupants.” The University plans to move the department of Alumni Relations across the street to the University Club, located above RH Bistro, by mid-October.

Before the University can begin construction on Alumni House, it must first present detailed design plans to the D.C. Residential Association in order to obtain a building permit. Once the building permit is obtained, the D.C. Commission on Fine Arts will review the plans for a second time.

“We hope (the process of getting permits) happens efficiently and in a timely manner so that the Knapps can move in as soon as possible,” Schario said.

Although it is not clear when renovations will begin, Schario estimated the renovations would take about six months to complete and that she does not anticipate Knapp moving in before the end of April. This estimate, Schario said, does not take into account unforeseen challenges and delays.

“When you’re talking about renovating an old and historic house, there are things you may not be able to plan for,” Schario said. “And sometimes the unexpected happens.”