Varsity Roundup

Volleyball

The volleyball team opened its 2007 season with a 1-2 record, including a 1-1 record in the D.C. Challenge at American University Aug. 25. The team also lost at George Mason 3-1 Aug. 24 in Fairfax.

Senior Janine Brown recorded 26 digs in a 3-0 win over Georgetown and 25 spikes in the Colonials’ 3-2 loss to American, both in the D.C. Challenge. The statistics are career highs.

Women’s Soccer

Women’s soccer played two exhibition games, losing 3-0 to The College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Va., Aug. 23 before beating University of Maryland, Baltimore County 1-0 at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex. Junior Meg Pyle, the team’s leading goal scorer last season, scored in the 50th minute off a cross from sophomore Brittany Eger.

The team begins its regular season Friday against the University of New Hampshire in the first game of the Vermont TD Banknorth Classic in Burlington, Vt.

Men’s Soccer

Men’s soccer beat Virginia Military Institute 7-0 Aug. 27 at the Mount Vernon Athletic Complex in an exhibition match. The Colonials out-shot their opponents 20-2 while senior Abimbola Pedro had a hat trick in the win.

The Colonials begin their season with games against American Friday and Howard Sunday in the annual D.C. College Cup in Fairfax.

Look for more on men’s soccer Tuesday in The Hatchet.

Lacrosse

Tara Hannaford, a former player and assistant coach at College of William and Mary, was named the lacrosse team’s new head coach after Chrissy Lombard-Adair resigned to pursue other career interests, Senior Associate Director of Athletics Mary Jo Warner announced Aug. 21.

Lombard-Adair, a two-time Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year, led the Colonials to their first-ever A-10 tournament appearance.

Last season, GW finished 11-7 and reached its first A-10 Championship title game after sharing the regular season title with Richmond. The Colonials will return nine starters from last year’s team.