This month in live music

September means a lot of different things at GW: getting professors to sign you into a class, (maybe) buying books for said class and perhaps lining up that internship your parents keep hounding you about. But above all, it means figuring out a way to work all that “important” stuff around all the concerts that you need to see. And with a schedule like this, that might be more involved than you think.
If you told yourself this summer that you wanted to experience the “real D.C.,” the Godfather of Go-Go music, Chuck Brown, is going to give you an opportunity. On Sept. 2, Brown is hosting his “official” birthday party at 9:30 Club. At $25, it’s a little pricey, but it’s sure to be that authentic D.C. Go-Go starter kit that you’ve been looking for.
GW favorite and Mt. Vernon Fountain Day alumni Ben Kweller will be bringing his one-man act back to Foggy Bottom for yet another free show, this time at the Millennium Stage at the Kennedy Center on the eighth.
If you refer to yourself as being a hippie, you’ll definitely want to check out Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals at the Warner Theater on Sept. 17. If you really ARE a hippie, then you definitely want to check out New Riders of the Purple Sage three days earlier (the 14 for you non-math majors), at State Theater. While Ben and the boys are sure to deliver, you might want to take a gamble (although a much cheaper ticket) and go with one of the original jam bands. After all, if they were good enough for founding member Jerry Garcia, they should be good enough for a $20 ticket.
If you prefer thick-rimmed glasses to hemp necklaces, Do Make Say Think will be doing their indiest at the Black Cat on Sept. 17 in an all-instrumental set. For the old-school/higher priced scenester in all of us, George Mason University will be hosting the Cure on Sept. 19.
Not that they need a reason to get plastered and go nuts on stage, but Boston’s favorite illegitimate-sons, the Dropkick Murphys, will be celebrating “Halfway to St. Patty’s Day” at Ram’s Head Live in Baltimore Sept. 17. For everyone who loved that song from “The Departed” here is your shot to lace up your best combat boots and see the Murphys live. Normally, no one should be forced to prove that they are a legitimate fan of a band- unless that band is the Dropkick Murphys. You could own every album that they’ve ever put out, but if you haven’t braved a live show, you definitely don’t know what you’re missing. The boys from Beantown guarantee that it will be a night you won’t soon forget, or else they’ll buy you a pint of Guinness and then proceed to break the glass in a bar fight.
Sept. 19 will see indie-favorites the Mountain Goats on the main stage of the Black Cat, which will no doubt be a great show for the money.
For some middle of the road, diet Southern rock, the Kings of Leon will be at 9:30 Club on Sept. 23-24, which will host Rilo Kiley two days later. Just seeing Rilo lead-singer Jenny Lewis live on stage might be worth the price of admission.
The night of Sept. 26 will be a chance to catch one of the most unique and intense shows around, when Queens of the Stone Age come to Ram’s Head Live in Baltimore. If lead singer Josh Homme can overcome a career threatening throat illness to perform, GW students can definitely overcome the $25 cover and price of a train ticket for one fantastic live show.
On Sept. 29, the tunes of indie-folk artist Iron and Wine will be absolutely obliterated less than 24 hours later by the death metal of Megadeth, performing on the same stage at 9:30 Club the very next night.
Of course, if none of these great, affordable options interest you, Michael Bolton will be torturing an audience at the Birchmere Music Hall in Alexandria Sept. 20, and he would be very happy to take your hard earned money.