Colonial Central to open in August

Colonial Central, a space that is being branded as a one-stop location for student services, will open in August.

The space, which is an empty room that formerly housed the District Market, was previewed for University employees and media June 14. The center aims to alleviate the University bureaucracy by co-locating offices and integrating the jobs of different parts of student services, said Lou Katz, executive vice president and treasurer.

“We have listened to you,” said Mary Wallace, the project manager for Colonial Central.

The University plans to move representatives from the cashier’s office, the GWorld card office, the registrar and financial aid into positions in Colonial Central.

The center will be open 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. on Friday in the fall. University officials are considering hours on weekends aswell, administrators said.

The University will also hire a service ambassador who will be in charge of complex transactions and may, at times, “walk” students between representatives, Associate Vice President Ed Schonfeld said.

“We want to ensure the high level of confidence and comfort in service,” Schonfeld said.

Besides the service ambassador, Schonfeld said he is unsure about staffing needs but added that he will be developing job descriptions once the center opens.

Schonfeld, who is a two-time alumnus, said employees will wear shirts that identify themselves by name and office, to ensure students know with which office they are working.

Brand Kroeger, the executive vice president in the Student Association, said the center is meant to change the way service is provided at GW, a pillar of his platform for office a few months ago.

“As a customer, I’m proud to say I could not be happier with the space,” Kroeger said.