Baseball’s Parker continues GW’s draft streak with selection by Mets

Recent graduate Michael Parker was selected in the 24th round and 753rd overall by the New York Mets on the second day of the Major League Baseball draft June 8. Parker was an Atlantic-10 First Team All-Conference selection after batting .373 with 60 RBIs and 10 home runs in the 2007 season. He led the Colonials in on-base percentage (.434) and hits (84) and was second in home runs during his final season.

Parker’s season peaked in late April with a four-game stretch when he had at least one hit, one RBI and one run scored in every game, earning him the Atlantic 10 Player of the Week title for April 23. During that span, he also had two four-hit games. He finished his collegiate career seventh on the all-time GW doubles list with 47and tenth on the stolen bases list with 43.

The shortstop is the third player in two years to be drafted to the MLB from GW along with Derrick Lutz and Dan Pfau, who were taken in last year’s draft. Former GW standout pitcher Mike O’Connor joined the Washington Nationals’ starting rotation last season but has yet to see action in the 2007 season due to left elbow surgery on his throwing arm in the off season. He is currently on the 15-day disabled list.

With Parker’s selection, the Colonials have now had at least one player drafted in each of the last eight MLB drafts.