Zack Colonna: Theatre

It was a twist of fate that got Zack Colonna, 22, to where he is today. He began as an electronic media major at GW, but after the University canceled the program he had to switch majors. He is now a theatre major and said he thinks it turned out to be one of the best decisions of his life.

“Since then I’ve gotten more push from people and developed more confidence. Support from family and friends, that’s what keeps me going and has kept me driven towards my goal. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without them,” he said.

Colonna has been cast as the lead role in “Reefer Madness” at the Studio Theater in Dupont Circle. After graduation, he will also be touring the nation as the lead in a musical called “Brand New Kid,” written by Katie Couric.

“I’m really excited about this because it’s something I’ve always wanted to do,” Colonna said. “We even get our own tour bus. That’s my favorite part.”

Looking back, he said it is probably best that he didn’t stick to the electronic media major, even if he could have. It would have probably meant a regular job, a regular career, and his talents would not have had the opportunity to shine as they do now.

For his senior thesis, Colonna was selected as one of a few students to perform on the main stage during the performances. He performed “They’re Playing Our Song,” with another classmate and close friend.

“We basically worked through and put the entire musical together to showcase our abilities as actors,” Colonna said. “A lot of work went into that, and it turned out excellent.”

Colonna said he wants to eventually go to New York to pursue his acting career, but he said he wants to wait until he is ready. After his tour with “Brand New Kid,” he plans to stay in the Washington area and experience as much as he can before he heads to New York.

“I’ve always had a passion to perform,” Colonna said. “I hate doing the same thing over and over again, so this passion lets me do something different each time, by playing so many different roles and people, and do new things.”