Johnny Rockets opens in Foggy Bottom after months of delays

The Johnny Rockets in the Shops at 2000 Penn will open May 14, three months later than originally projected by company officials. The setback was one to normal construction and permit delays, officials said.

The restaurant is located in part of the space formerly occupied by the Gap on 20th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue. This is the California-based company’s fourth D.C. location.

“Many Johnny Rockets locations are located near college campuses, and we get great response from students who respond positively to our classic all-American ‘comfort’ food including juicy hamburgers, American fries and creamy milkshakes,” said Mimi Somerman, the senior vice president of marketing for Johnny Rockets. “Johnny Rockets offers a great location for students to meet up with friends or take a study break.”

The restaurant, which has chains worldwide, features hamburgers, malts, jukeboxes and employees dressed in 1950s garb. It will be open from 10:30 a.m. to midnight daily.

Somerman said the company expects most of their customers will be GW students.

“The Foggy Bottom area is a great neighborhood offering a mix of college students, residents and tourists,” Somerman said. “While we expect that a majority of our business will come from campus, we believe that our great-tasting hamburgers, all-American decor and fun, lively atmosphere will appeal to a wide variety of guests throughout the area.”

Somerman said Johnny Rockets hopes to become a GWorld partner and has already filed the necessary paperwork for the application process.

“If it takes GWorld, I’m down,” said Toni Tonioli, a junior. “(Johnny Rockets) is expensive, but if (it) takes GWorld, then it’s not real money … until you run out.”