Diana Kugel: Savoring summer

The economics textbooks have been slammed shut for the last time and that 20-page research paper has been handed in. As you close the door on your now-empty dorm room, you may temporarily be overcome with nostalgic feelings for the year that flew by way too quickly.

But as soon as you step through the front door of your house and give your dog a hug, it’s that time: summer is here. Three whole months of limited responsibilities, waking up at 2 p.m. and sitting out in the sun, working on that tan.

Most of you reading this are probably laughing out loud right about now. Except for a few very privileged individuals, I am quite confident in saying that most of you probably do not remember the last summer that you spent in such a manner.

More likely, the GW student will plunge headfirst into some combination of job, internship, summer classes or an individual attempt to save the world. Whether in an attempt to graduate in three years, save money to pay off those looming loans or network your way into a good job following graduation in a year or two, odds are the GW student will not just be sitting around all summer.

It is no secret that we, as a generation, are a product of the technology age. We want everything done sooner, quicker and more efficiently. Time is money, and wasting the opportunity to make money is a sin. Therefore, those that choose to spend three whole summer months on meaningless video games and trips to the mall are discounted as less then valuable members of society.

I have been having a hard time deciding how I actually feel about these few and precious summers during college. It is very easy for me to understand the mentality that most of my peers are in, in that summer is not three free months but rather an opportunity to work without pesky interruptions like classes and homework.

As much as I understand the pressure and desire college students have to get a job, internship or take classes over the summer, a small part of me wants to scream at everyone to stop. If an entire college career can go by so quickly, summer will come and go in a heartbeat.

As shocking as the realization is, we have very few “summers” left. As soon as you don that cap and gown to receive your diploma, one can no longer hide behind the label of student. Most viable careers are not that conducive to taking three months off every year – at least not if you want to stay at that particular place of employment.

This rather disturbing prospect is enough to make you want to put on a tie-dyed T-shirt, go to sleepaway camp and roast marshmallows around a bonfire, clinging to memories of when summer seemed to last forever.

Going at full speed all summer long will also mean that you will not have a chance to unwind before the chaos that is the return to college in the fall semester, and to all the obligations already lined up for you to tackle next. Even though some would argue to the contrary, being a college student does have its nerve-racking moments, and if you don’t take any time at all to relax, it will catch up with you.

I am not saying that it would be a good idea to blow off all summer responsibilities in favor of lounging by the pool with friends all day long. The long, hazy days of summer are a good opportunity to work hard and achieve something, but try to take some time off to play as hard as you work.

After all, we have, at most, three more summers before the full weight of adulthood confronts us head-on. Do all that you can to be prepared to enter the adult world with the upper hand, but remember that in a few years, you will long for the chance to just get in the car with a couple of friends and drive down to the beach for a week.

Go out there and make GW proud this summer but please, don’t forget to just have some fun.

-The writer, a freshman

majoring in psychology, is a Hatchet contributing opinions editor.